Besides, these are the ones I use for my clients and my own sites.
I think you have never seen so many SEO quick wins provided for free! If you apply them, you should reach the first page of Google for many keywords …
Enjoy reading, and thank you in advance for sharing this article and make a link 😉
How to improve SEO on Google?
To improve SEO, you must put in place strategies on the following 4 areas (click for details below):
- Technique : the technical base must be perfect! Both the choice of foundations to create the website that during the life of the site (maintenance, refits and migrations)
- Content and UX : the content must be of a quality far superior to what your competitors do, with a user experience as good on mobile as on computer or tablet
- Branding and netlinking : what will make the difference is the notoriety and confidence associated with your site. Grow your brand and get good backlinks …
- Methods and tools : To progress effectively, you need the right methods and tools
25 SEO ideas on the technical side
There are many things to check on a technical level, mistakes to avoid or correct. Here are the ones that have an SEO impact and that I prefer to use …
- Delete the duplicate content linked to the www subdomain! If your site is accessible as well as without “www”, you probably have duplicate content issues. Identify the official full URL and redirect the bad one to the correct one, definitely. Need help ? I explain how to adjust the duplicate of www .
- Identify if some old URLs of your site receive (good) backlinks and answer in error 404. If it is the case, it is a pity because the contribution of popularity (“jus”) is lost (I explain in details the technique in this tutorial ). In this case the ideal is to update the link on the external site, but if you can not do it you must do a 301 redirect to the page that best corresponds to the one whose URL no longer works.
- Correct dead links (404)! Internally, no link should point to a page in error (inaccessible, code 404). Use a tool like Xenu (be careful, by default it crawls too hard and your server will not like it) to identify those broken links. This software only works on Windows. Note: My RM Tech tool does this too.
- Manage your outdated products / articles / ads correctly! A site, it lives: it is normal that pages disappear. But you have to manage it properly, with the right HTTP codes. Read the advice of Sylvain Richard (Axenet agency)
- Create a sitemap index! Why an index? to list several sitemaps inside. Why more? for one type of page (categories, products, articles, other …), in order to specify the analysis of the indexing rate . This will not help to progress in position, but will facilitate the SEO analysis. If necessary, read my tutorial on Sitemaps and SEO .
- Check the URL of your home page : if it is
example.com/, it stupidly generates duplicate content. Basically, you dilute your efforts! In this case, modify all your internal links so that they point to the right place and set up a redirection of this bad URL to the correct one.
- In the pagination, check the URL of page 1! The classic mistake is to have a different URL depending on whether you first display it or come back to it by clicking on a link from page 2. Detailed explanations here .
- Speed up your site! It’s very important nowadays, whether on a computer, tablet or mobile, people want pages that are displayed quickly. Read all these tips to make your site faster .
- Go to HTTPS! Although in a lot of cases it does not seem necessary, someday you will see that it will be necessary to migrate to HTTPS . On the one hand HTTPS helps (a little) SEO, but it also reassures Internet users (especially when browsers display alarming messages for HTTP sites ).
- Check that you have no errors with your canonical URLs! Having access to thousands of audits on my My Ranking Metrics platform, I can assure you that there are often errors with canonicals . Even if Google does not necessarily take into account (especially in case of blatant error), I advise you to check. If needed, my RM Tech audit tool can do it on your entire site.
- Make sure you have a mobile compatible site! With the arrival of the mobile index of Google , it is absolutely essential to have a mobile site well done . The easiest way is to use the responsive design …
- Check that Google can access your images, CSS , JS ! If you block their access via the robots.txt file, Googlebot can not “get an idea” of the visual rendering of your pages. And so he may mistakenly estimate that your pages are incompatible mobile. You have in Search Console a report of these possible blockages.
- Add a virtual tour for your business! The marketing asset is huge, it’s worth it to make the investment (read ” The Virtual Tour for Google My Business “). You will be able to show your (future) customers what your store, restaurant or cottage looks like. And you can incorporate it to your site as well as your My Business profile .
- Add structured data in your pages! You’ll help Google understand what you’re talking about. Structured data is essential at a time when the engines are doing semantic analysis (they have moved from the analysis of words to entities / concepts). In some cases you will even see a visual impact in the SERPs (stars, prices, dates, photos, etc.).
- Beware of ads that take the entire screen on mobile! Since January 2017, Google penalizes those who abuse intrusive interstitials …
- Test the AMP format to speed up your site! Google puts a lot of emphasis on this special format that allows to have pages that are displayed hyper fast. If Google continues to provide a special display for AMP in the mobile SERP , it may be worth it. I made a complete file on AMP pages .
- Check that your server returns a 404 code for pages not found! This is the standard value for this case, it is important not to redirect the pages not found to the home page. Test a non-existent URL with an HTTP header tool ( mine for example) to verify that the returned code is 404 (not 200, 301 or other).
- If you have migrated your site from HTTP to HTTPS, check your redirects! Any old URL in HTTP must be redirected (in one step) to its equivalent in HTTPS. I provide all the redirect codes for that, then test with an HTTP header parser. To find if there is any internal link to HTTP, use a crawler.
- Check that you have no duplicate title tag! The cause can be technical (content is accessible to several URLs) or editorial. In any case, you must correct the problem. Go to Google Search Console in the “Appearance in Search Results> HTML Enhancements” section and see if Google lists duplicate title tags. Attention, from my experience this report is rarely exhaustive. I recommend that you run an audit to check 100% of your pages ( RM Tech does this very thoroughly).
- Check that your external outgoing links are not broken! Even if there is probably no direct impact in SEO, you take the risk of disappointing your visitors, which ultimately degrades your SEO. If your website is based on a known CMS , there is probably a plugin to check that. For example Broken Link Checker on WordPress. Otherwise, run an audit to find them (Xenu can not do it, but RM Tech does it in detail).
- Check that your pages are not too deep! Whether for the user or in SEO terms, if a page is difficult to access, it will be inefficient. I was able to measure the real impact on a large study of 8 million pages … First, measure the depth of each page (you will need a crawler type RM Tech ). Then, modify your site to reduce the depth, especially for the strategic pages.
- Make links on your home page to the strategic pages of the moment! This is particularly useful on ecommerce sites where you have to promote products (for a certain period). Making a link from the homepage to an internal page will provide a boost to SEO.
- Find pages with only one internal incoming link! This is not mandatory, but a page is rarely very good at SEO if it receives only one internal link. For strategic pages in terms of business, find other places on the site to link them. It is especially effective on sites of more than 500 pages. My RM Tech tool lists the relevant pages.
- Locate pages that always have the same anchor text in its internal inbound links! It is not mandatory to have more than one, but by varying these texts, you optimize the positioning of the landing page on many more queries (long drag effect). For strategic pages in terms of business, find other places on the site to link them. It is very effective on sites of more than 500 pages. My RM Tech tool lists the relevant pages.
- Add customer reviews to your pages! It is mostly used on product sheets, but it can be for your services too. These customer reviews (authentic of course) will enrich the editorial content of the page. Do not forget to include semantic markup (schema.org structured data) in order to have a chance to get a rich snippet (extracted with stars in Google’s SERP ). If necessary, read the Google doc, for example here the “reviews” .
15 SEO ideas based on content
Your pages should interest users and contain what is necessary for Google to understand them and you rank at the top of the results. This mainly concerns the text but also the images or videos. Here are the best SEO methods by content …
- Rework your title tags! The recipe to apply the following: a few keywords, a few convincing words to induce the click, a little mark (if it is short and known), all in about 65 characters . Reworking its titles is probably the best ratio “time spent” / “gain in SEO”.
- Check all your descriptions! The meta description (or rather the snippet in the results) is there to complete the title. It must also contain key phrases, as well as arguments that encourage the user to click to see your page, not to mention the highlight of your name or brand. Having a meta description too short, absent or identical on all your pages is a big mistake SEO (but also a very good lever for improvement). I have the most complete web file on the meta description, enjoy it …
- Increase your CTR in the results! Without even wanting to gain position, you can get more clicks with more attractive (title + description) snippets. With a better handset title + description, you can very well increase the CTR by 20% … which is 20% more traffic! The icing on the cake: it is a criterion undoubtedly studied by Google , used directly or indirectly.
- Add a description text on each category page! Under the heading (H1) and before the list of products, write a description of the category, in the form of 1 or 2 paragraphs. Be careful to produce a pleasant text to read, the goal is not only writing SEO, it is also the home of the user. The goal is to better understand the content of the category.
- Add beautiful images to the heart of your content! They will give a better a priori to Internet users who discover your site for the first time. They will give you an extra chance to get visibility into Google’s SERPs . For practice, follow my advice here .
- Vary the targeted keywords! Rather than think only one keyword per page (very bad idea), expand to many other expressions that meet the same intention of the user. We call it working the long tail (or to impress you, Latent Semantic Indexing techniques ). In this regard, read the SEO Quantum article which recalls that we must (also) use rare words. If you do not know how to find these variations of keywords, go to Google and type your main keyword. Then look at the suggestions (which are displayed little by little) and the associated searches (at the bottom of the page). To go faster, use tools like those described by Miss SEO Girl for example, or those ofthe list of La Fabrique du Net .
- Create good evergreen articles! This is timeless content, which you can share with your audience regularly (with some updates if necessary). These types of content are very effective in SEO. To create them, follow the advice of Valérie Demont or DomRaider .
- Update your old articles! Review all your articles and look for those whose publication date is old (and yet do not relate to news). Customers who see a date too old do not take the article seriously … If you see that it is necessary to review the content, now is the time to do it. If the article is totally outdated, delete it.
- Answer directly to the questions of Internet users! Google seeks to provide a quick answer to questions asked by its users. For that, he needs your content. Identify the questions via Search Console (or a keyword analysis tool that knows how to spot questions, such as 1.fr or AnswerThePublic ) then add them in your article, with the answer just below. You can be selected in Featured Snippet (” position 0 “) or in the ” People Also Ask ” blocks .
- Add videos to your pages! If possible, videos that belong to you, but otherwise it can also be used to supplement the information provided in your page. You will benefit to improve your SEO on YouTube (a few tracks here , and a great bookthat I recommend).
- Structure your editorial content with good titles! H1-H6 tags are meant to help the reader (and the search engine) understand the logic of your content. Without going over-optimizing, a good title structure in your pages will help you include strategic expressions. Test the structure of a page with my free tool , or on your entire site with RM Tech .
- Identify your poor quality pages! They disappoint Internet users who consult and degrade the overall quality score that Google probably calculates (for example with Panda). The best is to turn these bad pages to achieve a high level of quality. If you can not, another solution is to merge several pages so that their grouping is of quality. As a last resort, delete them and have them deindexed from Google . To save time, follow my method to locate pages of poor intrinsic quality .
- Make the hunt for content too weak! Generally these are pages with very little added value. Find them, update the contents, fill them in, add images or videos … These pages will generate new visits (and the quality of your site will progress). More info here on the hunt for “thin content” .
- Add questions / answers on your product sheets! Let users ask questions, including upstream of their purchase, and answer them in an FAQ included on the product sheet. Not only does this enrich the content of the page (with questions that users can ask in Google), but it also gives you ideas to complete the product description. This is a tip used by Amazon, described by beetle-seo.com .
- Submit your content in another form! For example, make a video that summarizes a tutorial, or slides, computer graphics, etc. You will not have duplicate content and will re-engage your site. You can even take the opportunity to publish these new content elsewhere (on YouTube, on Slideshare, etc.).
Google is based on a lot of things to evaluate the reputation of sites: backlinks of course, “the equivalent brand” of your site and perhaps also social networks. Here are the netlinking strategies I use for my clients and my sites …
- Clean artificial backlinks created in the past! You may have created lots of links to your site to boost your SEO (directories, press releases sites, comments, forum signatures, link exchanges, link purchases, etc.). The most artificial of them must be disavowed .
- Edit or delete your ” sitewide ” backlinks ! These are the (often artificial, keyword) links on all pages of partner sites, usually in the footer or sidebar. Replace them with one or several links located in the heart of an article that deals with your theme.
- Publish the results of a large study! The goal is to impress with the quality, seriousness and completeness of your study (otherwise you will not reap many links). I have successfully tested this method several times, for example by summarizing the SEO problems of the 500 sites of FEVAD (more than 200 sites make a link, including that of Echos Entrepreneurs)
- Identify who is talking about your site without linking! We call this a mention, that is to say that the name of the site (or its address) is indicated in a page but without link (<a href> tag). Identify them (with Linkody , Majestic , Ahrefs or other tools, or for free but less effective with a Google alert ) then contact the site to request a link be added.
- Copy good netlinking ideas from your competitors! Study the backlinks of your competitors (with Linkody , Majestic , Ahrefs or other tools) to find the best ones. Then, either you can also have a link from the same sites, or you are inspired ideas. You can also ask me to do it for you as part of a netlinking audit.
- Enjoy a change of your logo! This is an opportunity to contact those who use your old logo: give them the new image and ask them to add or edit the link to your site at the same time. To find pages with your old logo, search by image in Google images.
- Have links to your profiles (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) replaced by links to your site! Basically, study the backlinks of your social network accounts, then contact the sites that make these links to see if they can edit them as links to your site. This is not necessarily great, but it can make you some new links. It’s up to you to sort it out! I found this idea among many others on refeo.com .
- Give free access to a useful tool for your visitors! It may be surprising, but this type of service will be successful in terms of backlinks (provided it is done well). I saw it with my own tools, but we can see it on others (real estate credit calculators, weather, etc.).
- Contact the author of an article to suggest an improvement! It can be a complementary idea, a suggestion of a new tool, a feedback on the trick proposed in the article, etc. If you do it right, you can win a “reward” link 🙂 See André’s example on Traficmania.
- Have yourself invited to write an article on a site! This is called guest blogging. The principle is to provide an article (super quality) to a site that will publish it, usually allowing you to include at least 1 link to your site. Read the explanations of Sylvain Lembert , he practices a lot on his site. Incidentally, I also accept guests, contact me if you have a good idea of article (thematic search marketing ).
- Ask your offline partners to link you! Make a list of all your “real-world” partners: business partners, friends, suppliers, customers, associations or foundations, etc. Then see who could talk about you on a page of their site, with a nice link!
- Ask your suppliers to link you! Whoever tries nothing has nothing, does he? So why not ask your suppliers to add you to a page where to buy our products? “?
- Register on the website of your town hall and your CCI (Chamber of Commerce and Industry)! With these institutional sites, you have a good chance of being accepted (if your request is legitimate of course) and a priori they have a good reputation. So good, provided that these sites actually manage lists of links to local businesses.
- Identify the links pointing to 404 errors of your competitors and propose your content in replacement! For that, analyze the backlinks of your competitors (with Linkody , Majestic , Ahrefs or other tools) which lead to a 404 error. Then, make sure to have a page of excellent quality which corresponds to the missing resource. Finally, contact the sites making these links and suggest that they modify the broken link to point to your site. You can also ask me to do it for youas part of a netlinking audit.
- Identify those who quote an information source that has become inaccessible! It’s very close to the previous idea, but this time you do not necessarily look for the backlinks of your competitors. This is to find sites (quality) in your theme citing sources of information by making a link, but whose link now leads nowhere. It’s up to you to contact them by offering them one of your replacement pages.
- Post great infographics! Yes, it works again … provided you provide unpublished information and be excellent in terms of achievement. Turn to computer graphics platforms to order, and read the feedback from Pierre-Antoine Levesque.
- Stop being stingy in external outbound links! While it’s not guaranteed that the SEO impact is straightforward, it’s a good thing to link to quality ones on the same topic as your page. It’s a way to make Google understand what your page is about. It is also a way to show that you are a hub that has selected other interesting pages on the subject. In addition, you will make friends that one day or another will make you a link!
- Post job offers and let them know! If you plan to recruit, publish the offers on a single page whose URL will never change, and make it known wherever you can. Think about specialized sites, as well as local sites or your theme. Most likely, they will add a link to the homepage of your “Job Postings” section.
15 essential SEO methods and tools
Without method you will go round in circles, and without tools you will not be effective. This is where the difference between good and bad SEO is made! Here are the methods and tools I use for my clients and my sites …
- Hunt for the dark mass! These are the pages (URLs) that are crawled by Google and sometimes even indexed when they should not even exist. They consume what is called the “crawl budget” , probably generate duplicate content and degrade the overall quality of your site.
- Find your zombie pages! If you have articles that have not generated a visit to SEO over the last 12 months … then it’s time to take care of it. This is called inactive pages over 1 year . The problem can come from the subject of the article (which no longer interests anyone) but also from the mediocrity of the page (no added value). The worst of them are not only zero in SEO terms, but they no longer interest people on your site (never consulted!): I call it a “zombie page” . To identify them and know what to do, follow my tutorial but know that my RM Tech tool does it (by coupling crawl data analysis with Analytics and Search Console, via a house algorithm).
- Make fewer pages but your visitors love it! Today, making a page that respects the basic optimizations of SEO is no longer enough. You can not consider a page statically, without the data related to the user. Google knows how to spot pages that disappoint too much! This is also what answers Jean-François Pillou(creator of the success story How Ca Marche) when asked the best underestimated SEO technique … Combine the metrics at your disposal (I interviewed many experts on this subject) or let RM Tech do the job, which spots the pages that disappoint too much .
- Go to page 1 of Google! Some pages of your site are probably often (on average) at the top of page 2 of the results. And so get almost no traffic. I detail here my method to identify the relevant pages with the maximum potential. I rely on the traffic they can do if they go to page 1 of Google, as well as on their margin of progression (based on their SEO suboptimizations).
- Really speed up your site! To find out what slows your pages too much, test them with Google PageSpeed Insights or better, with Dareboost (French tool that I describe here ) or Fasterize ( SaaS solution also French explained here ).
- Reduce the size of your image files! It is possible in 1 click with several tools, for example ImageRecycle . If you have not done it yet, do not hesitate! For my part I do it on all my sites and those of my clients.
- Enjoy the diversity of Google’s SERPs !I bet you do not know the more than 70 types of results displayed in the SERPs . There are plenty of ways to take advantage of it to get better visibility …
- Use Google Search Console! This interface between Google and the one who manages a site (or app) is unavoidable. If you have not done so yet, add your site and review all reports provided.
- Check that you have no Google penalties! This is unlikely because you would already be aware, but if you never go to your Search Console account, it can happen. Unlike an “algorithmic penalty”, Google warns in case of “manual penalty”. Here is the list of offenses and associated penalties .
- Save time with bookmarklets! A few clicks that simplify your life for your actions related to SEO, social networks or the management of your site. You do not know what are bookmarklets? Follow my tutorial!
- Look what pages are indexed! By retrieving the list of indexed pages, you can deduce those that are not, which is not normal. It can help you understand some of the issues on your site. I propose a video tutorial to know how to list the indexed pages (sites of less than 1000 pages).
- Become the god of Google orders! Like bookmarklets, they will save you time, such as searching in a particular site, in the title tag, accessing the cache, whether Google has indexed a specific URL, and so on. I made you the complete list here 🙂
- Equip yourself with a tool for managing backlinks !You’ll save a lot of time and discover opportunities with a tool like Linkody .
- Encourage your readers to share on social networks! After testing a lot of plugins, I chose Social Warfare that you see on this page. It’s beautiful, light, fast and powerful 🙂 You can find many others, but put in because it increases the shares, which is a very good thing. To go even further, read my tips for + shares .
- Automate and plan sharing on social networks! Maybe like me before, you do everything by hand? It’s a huge waste of time … Plan ahead for sharing your best content on your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ accounts. Better yet: with CoSchedule (which I use on WebRankInfo), activate the automatic re-sharing mode! The tool locates shares that have been successful and plans them again in the future.